My daughter is Ava. She has 3 letters in her name. We lived in Italy for 3 months. We are back for 3 more!
16 September 2009
We have Arrived!
Okay...I truly can't believe we are here, and there were no problems during the whole process. No problems driving to Houston and getting there in time. They didn't charge me extra, even though I'm sure a couple of my bags were overweight. Got on the plane, and had two seats to ourselves. Ava kept herself happy, well-fed and occupied, and actually slept 4 of the 9 hours to Paris! She woke up happy and had breakfast, and waited patiently till we got off the plane! The only nervous time was getting to our transfer flight. It took almost 45 minutes to taxi and exit the plane. Then there was a 20 minute wait, getting through immigration. Some kind ladies in the line kept helping me move my bags along because Ava was exhausted and just wanted me to hold her. Then had to catch another bus to go to another terminal to go through security again. Right when we got to the gate, we boarded the plane and were off to Firenze! Another 2 hours of Ava entertaining herself and the sweet Italian grandma next to us :) Landed in Firenze with no problems, and thankfully found a trolley to load all our suitcases cause there was no way I could have taken them all by myself. Custom's was a joke: a lady casually looked at my massive amount of suitcases and asked 'Are you here on vacation?' Yes, we were. 'For how long will you be in Italy?' Three months. 'Very well, have a good stay!' And we were off! Our friend was waiting for us and thank goodness all the suitcase fit in his tiny Fiat. All in all, the journey was rather boring....a very good thing!
Now the project of getting onto Italian time, and fighting the jet-lag. The most funny part of the whole day was that Ava just kept going! A couple little moments of fatigue, and a few tears because she was exhausted, but I am amazed and proud at how well she did! What a little traveler! We got to our house and had lunch, she ran around in the garden, played by herself while I unpacked and we had a nice bath. Then, finally at 7:30 local time, she said she wanted some dinner. I made her something, and literally 1 minute after she started eating, she yawned once and said 'I'm tired, mom' and she fell asleep leaning against her chair: totally sitting upright, with a bite of food in her hand. Out like a light! I have never seen a child 'crash' like that...and I thought she was just pretending to be asleep! She slept really well until about 10pm and then she was up every couple of hours just disoriented and not sure where she was sleeping. By 1:30am she was totally awake, so I let her watch a movie for an hour and then she konked out till 10am! What an odd night, but I suppose it could have been worse. The next couple of days I hope I can get her adjusted to a good sleeping (and certainly napping!) schedule and we'll stick close to home so there isn't too much shock while we are getting adjusted! I'm just so thankful we have arrived!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment