28 September 2009

Hallelujah!


Sunday was another beautiful day here.  We went to a antique market that is held the last Sunday of every month.  Ohhhh how I love antiques!  And especially the Italian antiques we saw spread out for several blocks!  I got a lovely bracelet that matches a Tibetan ring I already have.  Ava was treated to a precious pair of tiger slippers since all the Italians are telling me she must wear shoes in the house.  In the states we're accustomed to wall-to-wall carpet and here we have tile floor all throughout.  Since she has grown out of her little Crocs a while ago, I never bothered to get her any house shoes, and the floors really are hard and cold.  So, we gave in to some Italian hippies who hand-made these.  Ava also got a Buzz Lightyear figure with broken arms, legs, and wings for 1 euro (but she totally adores it anyways since she was on a Toy Story kick before we left the States) and a cute little bag to carry Buzz.  I thought of bringing the stroller, but then figured if it was a market it would be tight and crowded and more of a nuisance.  Well, I was wrong.  Ava's now at this point,understandably, that if she is around lots of people she hates to walk.  And she only wants Mommy to carry her.  So, for about 2 hours she was up and down and I got a good work-out for my arms!  I've now decided we must always bring the stroller in the car so in case the streets are wide enough, I won't have to throw out my back anytime we go antique hunting.



Today has been another wonderful day.  I finally decided to venture out of the house alone with Ava and far away from all things familiar.  No, still haven't attempted the bus, but once I find a place to buy tickets, we'll be on one!  But today Ava and I found a park!  A real, big, honest to goodness park for children!  It is about a mile away from the house, having to walk a long a very busy street with a sidewalk that is just wide enough for us to fit down it with the stroller.  But we made it there safely, and proceeded to have a blast for about 2 hours.  There were tons of moms, grandmas and grandpas there with kids mostly younger than Ava.  A couple kids tried to play with her, and she even played soccer for a bit with another little girl.  I am just soooo relieved to have found this place.  It was safe, clean, with fun things to climb around with lots of benches, shade, and picnic tables.  The mile walk helps me get some exercise, and the park will be great even when the weather begins to cool down.  Though it is quite obvious that we are American (since Ava talks so loudly in English!) maybe I can attempt to speak to some other moms once we get to recognize the kids and learn to play with them.  I was beginning to think there were no places for children in this city, but so grateful this park is close enough for us to walk to anytime we want.  We are definitely going back most mornings we are free...thank the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment