25 October 2010

Poveri Gatti...

Ever had one of those days where you just felt nothing was working out?  That no matter what you did, the day was just going to continue getting worse?  And sometimes you just are too overwhelmed with obstacles to see the light at the end of the tunnel?  Today I discovered a new saying in Italian.  It is "Non c'è trippa per gatti"...There's no tripe for the cats.  Apparently, this term is used when there is a situation that is hopeless, that no matter how hard you try, nothing will work out.  Even if there is a whole, yummy bowl of tripe on the kitchen table, those darn cats won't be getting a scrap of it!  Poveri gatti!  Poor cats!

These looks like some cats I know

When attempting to make a life in Italy, this kind of feeling occurs quite often.  I've only begun the process of figuring out a way to move to Italy and start a real life there.  To be honest, it can be down-right intimidating.  There are countless websites and forums full of people discussing this same problem.  (Again, a wealth of knowledge exists here at Expats in Italy)  Unless you are an EU citizen, married to an Italian, or employed by a company that sends you to Italy for work, it is....how can I say....frustratingly difficult to get a Visa that allows you to enter the country and stay as long as you wish!


Yet in a way, it makes sense that not just anyone can move there and stay forever.  If one is willing to jump through hoops, learn the language, deal with the million different types of beuracratic red tape and figure it all out...then yeah, they are the people who really deserve to be there!  They are the ones who can look at Italy and all the ridiculousness and say "Yep, that's how it is...but I it wouldn't be Italy any other way!"  Cause after all...even if there isn't any tripe for the cats, sometimes, just sometimes, if they search around long enough, they might get a little bite of fish waiting for them in a place they hadn't looked...

3 comments:

  1. true that my lady, I know for me it has been quite a difficult struggle but sooo worth it. Plus after acknowledging that immigration into our country is equally if not harder to get into.. what can you do.. tis triste che nn siamo un parte di il unione europeo :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sì cara, davvero...it could make...mmm...maybe 1/16th of things a bit easier on us! hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. they (rather, I) really need spell-check on blogger..haha...bureaucratic

    ReplyDelete