16 November 2010

Driving through Glitter

Two interesting things I noted today.

1.  It was -8 when I drove Ava to school this morning (that would be -22 celcius).  Brrrr and more brrrr.  I'm quickly realizing I need a full-fledged face-mask if I need to be outside more than 2 minutes.  But that's not the main thing I noticed this morning.  Recently I've heard some newly initiated Alaskans talking about how sparkly the snow is here, compared to other places.  I didn't really believe it...snow is snow right?  And after an additional 4 inches of snow the other day, we're just happy when it's out of our way so we can get where we gotta go!  But while I was driving, at 8:30am with darkness all around, I saw that it was snowing very lightly.  So lightly, that you could only see it falling in front of the car headlights and under the still-shining street lamps.  And it looked like minuscule diamonds.  It looked like we were driving through silver glitter.  Now, I'm not thrilled to be here in Alaska for the next 3 months, but if that's the beauty I get to see every morning, I don't really mind at all.  I will never doubt or forget how the snow really does sparkle here.

2. And then, funny enough, my Italian Rosetta Stone lesson was 'Caldo e Freddo' today...hot and cold.  Perfetto! Just what I needed to be reminded about: how cold I was, and how warm I wish I was!  hehehe!  Now I can confidently proclaim "Fa freddo in inverno!"  It's cold in the winter! and "Fa freddo e questa gente porta cappelli e sciarpe"  It's cold and these people wear hats and scarves! and "La gente gioco nella neve quando fa freddo"  The people play in the snow when it is cold!  Like I said...perfect lesson for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment