02 August 2010

Updating, 2010

(Back in America)
First of all, Ava is no longer 3.  Second of all, we're no longer in Italy.  Thirdly, it has been way too long that I wrote about life in Italy!  So, it begins again...updating, changing, evolving.  Just like life!

More info later on what we've been up to since we left Firenze in December.  For now, a list of things I've been missing about that beautiful city:

~ My friends: Honestly, when you make friends with Italians, you don't ever want to let them go.
~ My adopted Italian family: This small group of people, aged 85 to 10 made our lives so rich and happy.
~ The river: No, not particularly the Arno...although I loved to walk along it on my way to Piazzale Michelangelo...but more importantly, the little river than ran beside our house.  I miss hearing the water fall right outside of my bedroom window...the sound drowning out the ambulance sirens and motorini.  Even with the windows closed, I could hear it, and it always helped me fall asleep.
~ The music: At least once a week (usually more) I was able to listen to live music.  Though I am no musician, I am certainly a dancer.  There is something therapeutic for me, feeling the loud music beating inside my chest, making my toes tap, my hips sway, my eyes close.  Since returning to the states, I haven't gone out once to listen to live music.
~ The language: Still trying to learn the language, I've been attempting to do a lesson from Rossetta Stone everyday.  Some days it makes me depressed, other times it encourages me to keep learning...because someday I know I'll get back there!  It also was nice at times to hear people speaking all around us, and not have to worry about what they were saying.  I could sort of zone out, in my own world when I wanted to.  Here, back home, I can't escape conversations that I would rather not be hearing!  Additionally, not having my daughter exposed to crude or vulgar language.  Sure, it was around us in Italy, but she had no idea what it meant, or tried to repeat it!!
~ The wine: I miss being able to drink wine or beer at lunch time, without someone thinking I'm crazy!  I never had to worry about buying a bottle, because there just always was a bottle hanging around somewhere, or people bringing a bottle to the party.  And honestly, I can only think of one time where I tasted a red wine in Italy and totally detested it.  Here, I can't find a red that I enjoy.  Could it just be psychological?  Perhaps.
~ The shoes: Enough said.
~ So much more: Things, places, people that I can't even begin to describe.  I never really thought a place could truly take up residence in your heart...but from the moment we returned to the States, I haven't felt complete.  Call it romantic, nostalgic, or insane.  But we left a part of ourselves in Italy...and we are ready to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment