09 August 2010

Summer Reading



















Since I can't be in Italy right now, I figured I might as well be learning about it in some way! This week's trip to the local library provided some great ways to keep in touch with the history, the people, and the stories that are inspired by that country! Here are the books I picked up this week and have ravenously devoured...

The Monster of Florence -- Douglas Preston, Mario Spezi
           A thrilling account of the famous murders taking place around Florence between 1968 and 1985. Douglas Preston (American writer known for his fictional thrillers) and Spezi (an Italian journalist) go on a hunt for the killer who targeted lovers around the city and who's identity is still unproven.  While the unfolding events are well-documented, at times the narrative was confusing, especially with all the numerous characters involved.  Had to keep going back pages to remember "now, who was this guy, and what did he do again???"   P.s. I would have to give this book an 'R' rating based on the many greusome details of the murders and associated events.

Vasari's Lives of the Artists -- Giorgio Vasari
          As an Art history major, I am ashamed to say I have never read this book! Now is my chance to discover how Vasari colorfully and represents the main characters of the Italian Renaissance across three centuries. Many credit Vasari with being the first art historian, and reading his ancient words give a first-hand account of the artists that modern-day historians can only repeat.  This is an abridged version I'm reading, seeing as there are I think 5 huge volumes in total!

The Passion of Artemisia -- Susan Vreeland
            This is a novel about a rarely discussed Italian artist: a woman named Artemisia Gentileschi who lived and worked around the time of the Renaissance. The story incorporates Gentileschi's violent painting of "Judith" and tells her story of love, betrayal, and crime. Though some areas may be imbellished, the topic seems to be well-researched and a good piece of historical fiction (my favorite kind!).  I personally connected to the accounts of a single, working mother, and I loved how Vreeland allowed Artemisia's charcter to grow in strength and wisdom with each obstacle that came her way.  Very encouraging and insightful...

Leondardo's Swans -- Karen Essex
            Another elaborate novel, this one about two Italian sisters in the 15th century.  With sibling rivalry, love matches, and societal roles of the time period, this looks like an easy read that incorporates the politics and culture of an Italian time long ago.  I haven't finished this one yet, but it looks to be a quick read, though not as intricately laced with art history as the title above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment