27 August 2010

Three x Three = Nine

Wow....9 months.  9 months?!?!  How has it really been 9 months since I was packing up and heading to Florence for 3 months with my 3 year old???  I'm really not sure if that old adage works here...ya know, the one going "Time flies when you're having fun".  More appropriately, these past 9 months have been dragging on till we can return again!

Well okay okay, I will say we've been having a bit of fun!  We've been moving all over the states these past 9 months.  In fact, since June of 2009, we've been moving about every three months.  My little girl and I have certainly had a few adventures along the way!  After returning from Italy our travels went something like this: Firenze to San Antonio, San Antonio to Maine and Connecticut, Maine to San Antonio (all flights).  Then: San Antonio to San Diego, San Diego to LA, LA to Oregon, Oregon to Seattle (all driving, including 1 flat tire in the middle-of-nowhere Texas).  That all happened in the last 6 months.

Now, believe it or not, for a grand total of 6 months (gasp!) we are settled in a land I NEVER thought I would EVER be living!  In fact, if I wanted to get farther away from Italy, I would probably have to skip over the pond and head to Russia.  Yes...we are in The Last Frontier...ALASKA! 

I blame it on myself, really.  I told myself (as well as anyone who asked) months ago...I will NEVER live in Alaska...I don't EVER feel the need to see that strange state.  Lo and behold, we are HERE!  hahaha...there's another one of those adages..."Never say never", right???  To add insult to injury, I even had to get an Alaska driver's license so that I'm technically a resident of this state!  Honestly, I thought it was the end of the world when I found myself moving to Texas many years ago, but this move to Alaska is just as ridiculous.



Don't get me wrong...there really isn't anything terrible about Alaska (at least since we've been here in the summer months)!  It's just that anyone who knows me, knows I am the complete opposite of a nature girl.  But that's not saying I'm a total city girl, either.  It's something my sister and I have always been confused about:  the fact that if we're in the Big City, we look like country bumpkins...and yet, take us to the Last Frontier, and we look like city girls!  This is how we came to call ourselves suburban-ites.  We can kind of survive in either element, but never quite fit in.

As it is, Ava and I will be residing in Alaska (see photo above from our back deck) until we're able to return to Italy...hopefully at the beginning of the new year.  Until that time, it's prep time!  Yippeee....said with sarcasm.  Mainly this prep time will be used to figure out how Ava and I can stay in Italy longer than 3 months.  Namely, the dreaded Visa process.  Thankfully we have plenty of time to figure it out, but at this point it's looking like we have two options: obtaining a Work Visa or a Student Visa.  I'm sure many more posts will discuss said options in the future.

For now, we'll be enjoying the fact that ths sun is actually setting in the evenings now, (for a while the 20 hours of daylight were seriously messing with my circadian rhythm!) and I won't have to sleep with an eyemask anymore.  Oh, and I'll be ingesting as much cheddar cheese as possible, storing up fat for the cold winter months ahead (i.e. in 2 weeks) and enjoying the fact that I can still purchase it whenever I want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment