I think this time around it will be a little easier to leave stuff here in the States because I have a better idea of the things I'll still be able to find in Italy. Our last time in Italy I packed everything but the kitchen sink..because I knew that at least we'd have a kitchen sink over there. This time I know where I can get most anything we really need and it's a comfort being more familiar with a foreign city, even though I still have so much to discover over there!
My daughter is Ava. She has 3 letters in her name. We lived in Italy for 3 months. We are back for 3 more!
21 January 2011
Pack Mule
24 days until I leave Alaska, 30 days till I leave for Italy. I keep asking myself, is it too early to start packing? I'm one of those ridiculous people who loves being prepared and organized when it comes to traveling. No waiting for the last minute to pack bags and make decisions about what to bring or else it totally stresses me out and I lose all excitement for the trip ahead! I remember heading over to Italy with Ava for the first time. I don't think I'll ever forget F's face when he saw I brought 4 huge suitcases...because I honestly must have looked like a pack mule with my huge cart! The customs person stopped me and Ava on the way out with our load and asked "Uhm...how long are you staying?" I replied 3 months. And she gave me this "Ahhh...well....enjoy your time in Italy" while mockingly sniggering at my over-preparedness. It would probably be best to avoid such a situation again, cause who likes to be sniggered at?? And besides the mocking, AirFrance has changed their luggage policy yet again. So Ava and I can only bring 1 suitcase each if we want to avoid paying out the nose for extra bags. We'll see if this miracle can occur...I'm aiming for just 3...but if I really work my magic, I could possibly keep it to 2 with some stratgic weight-distribution tactics and the clever use of carry-on luggage!!
I think this time around it will be a little easier to leave stuff here in the States because I have a better idea of the things I'll still be able to find in Italy. Our last time in Italy I packed everything but the kitchen sink..because I knew that at least we'd have a kitchen sink over there. This time I know where I can get most anything we really need and it's a comfort being more familiar with a foreign city, even though I still have so much to discover over there!
With that said, I know there are a few thing I'll still want to bring from America. For example, within the week of my arrival, it will be my 26th birthday. And you better believe I want my own American boxed cake mix and frosting for my birthday! All-time favorite birthday cake is dark chocolate cake with lemon frosting. It just wouldn't be my birthday without it! I'll also throw in my suitcase a nice big box of ziplock baggies of varrying sizes...does that sound strange? Hmm..well, I haven't scoured Firenze for this small item, but I've never really seen them in the stores either. They are cheap here in the States and light to pack, and Ava and I use a million of them for so many things. I also will bring a good stash of taco seasoning mix...silly, I know...but it just makes us feel happy to have Taco Tuesdays, even in Italy (yet I still need to find a good tortilla in that city). Obviously I'm a huge supporter of trying to meld into the Italian culture and do things their way, but sometimes you just gotta take a break and enjoy your American-ality when a little homesickness sets in! For now, I'm itchin to leave this ridiculous coldness in Alaska and look towards the relative warmth in Firenze...I might even pack a swimsuit if I have room!
I think this time around it will be a little easier to leave stuff here in the States because I have a better idea of the things I'll still be able to find in Italy. Our last time in Italy I packed everything but the kitchen sink..because I knew that at least we'd have a kitchen sink over there. This time I know where I can get most anything we really need and it's a comfort being more familiar with a foreign city, even though I still have so much to discover over there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment