02 September 2010

Improvvisamente

A sudden rainbow in our back yard, Alaska
Improvvisamente.  I love this Italian word...with all the many letters, and the two 'v's snuggled up next to each other.  Translation: suddenly.  There have been so many moments in my life that I have waited and waited and waited for something to happen.   The concept of "time" in my life has always fascinated me.  It seems we relate events and memories based on an imaginary plane that we concoct in our brains to help us understand life and the ways we've changed in relation to those various times.  Or...something like that, anyways.

And then there are other moments, like recently, where something suddenly happens.  Out-of-the-blue, on a whim, who knows why!  It's kinda like when you see a rainbow.  Don't we all get a little giddy when we happen upon something that seems so magical and beautiful?  And so....suddenly!.....I find myself with an email itinerary (wasn't it more fun when you actually were mailed airplane tickets?) saying I'm going back to Italy.  It will just be for a 10 day visit, and the reasons for my sudden trip are complicated.  But, improvvisamente, I'm flying back to the country I love.  And it makes me so, so, so happy. 

Ten days for another chance to see the friends I've been missing, the streets and places I love to see, the language I long to finally understand!  Ten days to be reminded why all the muss and fuss of trying to move there could actually be worth it in the long run!  Well, I really have no idea what the future may hold, but I'm so thankful for this impromptu trip because it's giving me a much-needed reminder to live in the moment.  I need to keep telling myself "Think about today!!" so I don't get frustrated waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen.  "Tomorrow will worry about itself" and I honestly don't have much control over what will occur.  My only hope is that improvvisamente, I'll find myself in just the right place, at just the right time, and I'll have no idea how it all happened...but I'll feel incredibly content. 
Alla fine....eventually....

No comments:

Post a Comment